We cannot reach everyone on the Internet no matter how many hours we spend on social networking sites. This is why it's vital to provide an easy way for the people we can reach, to give us exposure by inviting their friends over for a look. Soon friends of their friends will start coming round to see what's on offer. The only way to structure this domino-visit blog traffic is by enabling the visitors to easily share our work/site. This is where a 'share this' button becomes essential.
Adding a 'share this' button is not only easy, it works to benefit you by encouraging those that quickly visit your site to share what they've read with the rest of the world. Keep in mind that most people who visit your blog do it on a 'fly-by' trip to other interesting places on the net. Give them a reason to come back, but most importantly, give them a reason to get their friends to come too.
Here is how you add a 'share this' button to your new blog.
- Log into your blogger dashboard. Work from the blog you want to add the 'share this' button to.
- Choose 'settings.'
- Choose 'formatting.' Leave this page open for now.
- Open a new browser window and go to the 'Add This Site'
- The first section says, 'Select your service.' Select 'Blogger.'
- The second section simply asks you to select your choice of button. Do this.
- For simplicity sake, in the third section, choose, 'Just give me the button.' We will deal with analytics later on.
- Click on 'get your button.'
- Towards the end of the page you will see a command which says, 'copy code.'
- This tells you to copy and paste the code into your Blogger template. This involves editing your blog's html. If you're not comfortable with doing this, (I was a blogger for nearly 2 years before I even attempted to touch my html page) there is a simpler, fool-proof way of getting your 'share this' button at the end of every post. I do not recommend messing with your blog template unless you're totally confident in doing so.
- After you've copied the code, go back to the open, Blogger 'formatting' page you found earlier.
- Go to the bottom of the page where you will see an empty panel beside the words, 'post template.' Paste the code you copied into this panel.
- Don't forget to click on 'save settings' which is the orange button at the very end of this page.
- This 'add this' button will appear at the bottom of every post you make from now on.
For a range of other 'share this' buttons, you can go to this page. You're required to sign up for an account, but it does give you more options.